Austin Bar Association Virtual Equity Summit
Paving a Path to a More Equitable Community: Examining Equity with a Spotlight on Race
Join the Austin Bar Association for its inaugural Equity Summit on Friday, May 14, 2021 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Cost for the virtual event is free and open to the public.
5 hours partic. CLE; 5 hours
JUST A FEW SPOTS LEFT!
CLICK HERE to register.
Once you register you will receive a confirmation email from EVENTBRITE that contains the Zoom link.
If the Summit is sold out, email Nancy Gray to be placed on a waitlist. The Summit will be recorded and the video will be available on the Austin Bar website a few days after the event.
The program will begin with an introduction by Austin Bar President Kennon Wooten and Austin Bar Equity Committee Chair Judge Maya Guerra Gamble. Following the introduction, Equity Committee member David Holmes will read the Austin Bar’s Equity Statement and then Diana Reinhart will lead a brief session on mindfulness. Equity Committee members Mindy Gulanti and Neal Falgoust will moderate panel discussions on implicit bias and pro bono efforts to reduce the justice gap.
Confirmed speakers for the Equity Summit include:
- Former Texas Supreme Court Chief Justice Wallace B. Jefferson. CLICK HERE to read his bio.
- Former Austin City Council Member Ora Houston. CLICK HERE to read her bio.
- Community advocate and former AISD Board of Trustee, Paul Saldaña
- Former Austin City Attorney and Greenberg Traurig Shareholder, Karen Kennard
- Co-founder and Executive Director of the Innocence Project of Texas, Mike Ware
- Volunteer Legal Services of Central Texas Executive Director Alisa De Luna
- Transgender activist of PFLAG Austin, Anna Nguyen
- Partner at Deats, Durst and Owen, Manuel Quinto-Pozos
- Lawyer turned therapist Diana Reinhart, LMFT, JD. CLICK HERE to read her bio.
The Austin Bar’s efforts to achieve racial equity and dismantle the systems created by institutional racism will take much longer than one year. As such, the Equity Committee will continue its work and plan to make the Equity Summit an annual event.
equity summit agenda